There’s a secret hiding inside this sandwich, alongside the poached shrimp and luscious avocado. The secret is heat — as much as you want — courtesy of a simple spicy mayo. A touch of hot sauce added to the mayo makes the flavors of the sandwich come alive. For the bread, seek out a healthy, tasty bread with fewer than 14 grams per slice. Fibre is important too, at least a few grams, and will reduce the glycemic impact of the bread. The bread I used here was from a local bakery, with 10 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of fiber per slice. I made it a little thinner (and increased the surface area) by pressing down on it with a rolling pin. (Don’t press too hard or you’ll wind up with holes in the bread). It’s important to seek out a bread that’s lower in carbs, so you can have a sandwich now and then. Visit local bakeries and your supermarket and read the nutritional label carefully.
Recipe: Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Sandwichprint
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp Sriracha or other hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/3 medium avocado
- a few tsp lemon juice
- a few slices fresh tomato
- 3 to 3 1/2 oz medium shrimp
- 1 tsp each lemon juice and olive oil
- Mix the mayonnaise with the hot sauce and set aside.
- Slice the avocado thinly and sprinkle with lemon juice to keep it from turning bown. Slice the tomato and set aside.
- Poach the shrimp: put 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, then turn down heat to a simmer. Cook shrimp just until they are pink and opaque, about 2 minutes. Dry on a paper towel.
- Heat a small grillpan (a regular frying pan is fine as well, but you won't get the grill marks). Toast bread on the pan until grill marks appear. Remove bread from grillpan. Spread bread (side without grill marks) with the mayo/hot sauce blend, then top with sliced tomato, sliced avocado and poached shrimp. Top with second slice of bread. (Note: it might get messy -- just tuck the shrimp back in).
- Drizzle arugula with 1 tsp lemon and 1 tsp oil and serve on the side.
This recipe makes 1 servings.
Nutrition for one serving is as follows:
Photo shows 1 serving on a 9 1/2 by 10 inch board.
Copyright © 2015 Bite Diabetes. All Rights Reserved.